North Liberty Blues & BBQ is a festival held each July in Centennial Park in North Liberty, Iowa.
North Liberty Blues & BBQ is coordinated by the North Liberty Community Betterment Group, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The planning committee is made up of business leaders, city representatives and North Liberty residents. Though fundraising efforts begin in the fall, the planning process is in full swing before winter’s out. It takes about 400 day-of volunteers to orchestrate the celebration. You can support our efforts with the purchase of a T-shirt or by making a donation.
Where’s Blues & BBQ?
View Centennial Park in a larger map
We’ll be at Centennial Park, a 40-acre park on North Liberty’s west side, near North Bend Elementary.
Why is the festival free?
The purpose of North Liberty Blues & BBQ presented by Veridian Credit Union is to bring the community together for a free, family-friendly event under the umbrella of live, Iowa blues music and remarkable food. The festival is coordinated by the North Liberty Community Betterment Group with the goal of providing North Liberty residents and visitors an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the area without spending money. The festival is paid for by local business sponsorship and donations.
Besides, sometimes you need to go out and spend time with friends and family. Why not spend a nice summer day with a free festival?
What time do things happen?
Great question, you can reference the schedule here.
Can I bring a lawn chair?
Certainly, bring a chair, bring a blanket, bring friends. However, our license prevents us from allowing coolers and outside alcohol at North Liberty Blues & BBQ. Alcohol is not allowed outside the beverage garden.
Can I bring my dog?
Unfortunately no. As much as we love dogs, the number of people who attend each year means we need to ask your dog, no matter how well behaved, to stay home.
It’s a free event, but purchasing barbecue and beverages is part of the fun. What forms of payment are acceptable?
Of course we’ll take cash. There will be an ATM at the festival.
Is smoking permitted?
This is an outdoor entertainment venue and the Iowa Smokefree Air Act makes it unlawful to smoke anywhere on the festival grounds, including the beverage garden.
2017 North Liberty Blues & BBQ planning committee:
- Dave Moore, Big Grove Brewery, co-chair
- Nick Bergus, City of North Liberty, co-chair
- Jillian Miller, City of North Liberty, co-chair
- Emily Feagins, Veridian Credit Union
- Sadie Arens, Kay Family Chiropractic
- Kevin Crall, MidWestOne Bank
- Dean Colony, Alliant Energy
- Katie Colony, Colony Pumpkin Patch
- Robbie Deckard, University of Iowa Community Credit Union
- Deb Forbes, Resident
- Jennie Garner, North Liberty Community Library
- Guy Goldsmith, City of North Liberty
- Tim Hamer, City of North Liberty
- Benjamin “BJ” Jaggers, Mercy Iowa City
- Megan Benischek, City of North Liberty
- Jean Keeley, Grace Community Church
- Allison Bates, Hills Bank and Trust
- Adam Olsen, North Liberty Police Department
- Erek Sittig, Holland, Michael, Raiber, and Sittig, PLC
- Mark Vande Haar, Maudience
- Michelle Wolter, AW Welt Ambrisco
- Kaila Rome, North Liberty Community Pantry
- Tyson Landsgard, North Liberty Police Department
- Adam Magee, Hills Bank and Trust
- Matt Vest, Shay Electric
The purpose of North Liberty Blues & BBQ is to bring the community together for a free, family-friendly event under the umbrella of live, Iowa blues music and remarkable food. Our goal is to provide an artistically and culturally-rich celebration for North Liberty residents and visitors. We also hope it will always be a volunteer-driven festival for the entire family. Blues & BBQ strives to keep the Iowa connection to musicians, beverages, artists and vendors.
The festival is paid for by local business sponsorship and donations.
Our contact information
Phone: (319) 626-5726
North Liberty Community Betterment Group
c/o North Liberty Blues & BBQ
520 W. Cherry, PO Box 77
North Liberty, IA 52317
Email: [email protected]